Pynchon Wiki: Gravity's Rainbow
To become a contributor/editor, Create an account.
This is the newly created Wiki for Thomas Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow. You can take a look at Gravity's Rainbow covers, read the reviews, or entertain some theories on the source of the title.
How to Use this Wiki
There are two major ways to use this wiki. The first is the Gravity's Rainbow Alphabetical Index, used to keep track of the myriad characters, real and imagined, as well as events, arcana, and lots of other stuff. The second is the Spoiler-Free Annotations by Page, which allows the reader to look up and contribute allusions and references while reading the book, in a convenient and spoiler-free manner. These two sections are so far almost entirely different, but we're working on integrating them.
Apart from those, it's up to you.
Alphabetical IndexInformation on the characters, events, and everything else in Gravity's Rainbow, organized alphabetically:
Page by Page Annotations
Beyond the Zero
Un Perm' au Casino Herman Goering
In the Zone
279-295, 295-314, 314-329, 329-336, 336-359, 359-371, 371-383, 383-390, 390-392, 392-397, 397-433, 433-447, 448-456, 457-468, 468-472, 473-482, 482-488, 488-491, 492-505, 505-518, 518-525, 525-532, 532-536, 537-548, 549-557, 557-563, 563-566, 567-577, 577-580, 580-591, 591-610, 610-616
Pynchon Wiki Help and Contributor Guidelines
We have a few conventions we ask that you follow:
- When creating a new page, first check to make sure a page/article about what you want to write about hasn't already been created, by checking the list of all Wiki pages on Pynchon Wiki. If a page already exists, please modify that one.
- When creating a new page, if its information pertains to one (and only one) specific Pynchon novel, please categorize it with the appropriate identifier. For example, a page pertaining to Gravity's Rainbow, should use the syntax
- To open a discussion on an individual listing of the Alpha Index, create one using the entry on Peter Tait as an example. Basically, give it a name that identifies the alpha listing (eg [[Name Discussion|DISCUSSION]]) and notice that the visible name will be "DISCUSSION" in full caps, so it stands out a bit.
- The Modern Word: Gravity's Rainbow
- The Fictional Woods - a Pynchon forum
- Zak Smith's Illustrations for Each Page of Gravity's Rainbow
- A companion's companion to Gravity's Rainbow
- Pynchonoid Blog
- Pomona Gravity's Rainbow page
- Wikipedia Gravity's Rainbow page
At Sixes and Sevens
To be "at sixes and sevens" is an English phrase and idiom, common in the United Kingdom. It is used to describe a state of confusion or disarray.
"He'd never told her, he avoided telling himself, but that was the measure of his faith, as this seventh Christmas of the War came wheeling in another charge at his skinny, shivering flank..." - Gravity's Rainbow, p.126
"A miscount" - Steven C. Weisenburger, A Gravity's Rainbow Companion
GalleryBelow are some of the images you will find on Pynchon Wiki.
We will be providing more support for using this wiki in the coming weeks. Feel free to contact us (admin at pynchonwiki dot com) with any questions.
Thanks, and enjoy...